We want you to help lead a staff that produces the number one rated newscasts and digital products in the market and beyond. You have to be an amazing writer and storyteller with at least two years of experience as a newsroom manager – Assistant News Director or Executive Producer. You have to be able to help people motivate themselves, be able to teach and collaborate with producers, reporters, anchors, sports and weather teammates. You have to know what works across all platforms now and what should work best in the future.
Must have excellent editorial judgment for weather and breaking news
• Must manage and advise on compelling, impact-driven news and weather.
• Must understand storytelling and how to develop unique, enterprise content across platforms
• Work closely with marketing, sales and engineering
• Great people skills with emphasis on coaching, motivating and mentoring
• Must be creative with, and persistent with targeting on-air and digital coverage of stories
• Help research, gather and check news stories for on-air and online while teaching improvements
• Know what is going on locally, nationally and internationally as it may impact our community or add value to our viewers lives.
• Leads story selection process through editorial and rundown meetings with the Assignment Manager.
• Must support the visual and written storyteller; help producers and MMJs understand the power of people and capturing moments and adding value to our stories as opposed to “press release journalism.”
• Must understand and pursue the News Director’s wider vision.
• Will work on award submissions and on maintaining a video newsroom log of top stories.
• Learn a broad and working knowledge of the viewing area, including people, places, things and history
• Critique: Offer daily feedback and set up training sessions. Watch our newscasts and know what to praise and what needs a conversation.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Must have flexibility to work any shift, including nights, weekends and holidays
• Help plan special reports, promotions and other specials
• Help set schedule for news staff
• Assist news director with recruitment and hiring Requirements
BA in Journalism or related field preferred
• Minimum 2 years of experience in television news management.
• Strong management, communication and people skills
• Ability to complete tasks with little supervision
• Knowledge and understanding of digital and social platforms
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to multi-task in high stress situations
Interested applicants can, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your cover letter, resume, and references